BEGIN YOUR WEEKEND WITH ONE OF OUR TWO BUS TOURS
Pick one of two exciting excursions…..
Bus Tour # 1 – University Circle – “Ohio’s Most Spectacular Square Mile !“
This trip will begin at Cleveland’s noteworthy Lake View Cemetery set upon 285 majestic acres. The cemetery, founded in 1869, is one of the largest garden cemeteries in the country. The tour will feature stunning vistas and gardens, distinguished monuments, and cleverly planned curving roadways where dogwalkers, runners and those just out for a Sunday drive take in this historic and breathtaking location. We will have a guided walking tour through the many trees on the property, including a Japanese Maple collection, Dawn Redwood, Sourwood, American Beech, Red Oak, White Oak, Sycamore and Tulip, Sweet Bay Magnolias and many other rare and unusual varieties. Bring your camera, of course, as we expect to see stunning fall colors!
Next stop will be the Cleveland Botanical Garden which will include a tour of the Herb Garden laid out in a formal knot garden. The tour will feature more than 3,500 plants and herbs, including historic roses and edible flowers, and will be led by members of the Western Reserve Herb Society. Next, a guided tour by a Cuyahoga County Master Gardener will venture into the two spectacular Glasshouses where you’ll be immersed in the exotic environments and native species of the Madagascar Spiny Desert and the Costa Rican Cloud Forest.
After a boxed lunch we will head to a fascinating Cleveland-born organization, Rust Belt Riders, whose motto is “Feed People, Not Landfills”. Since 2014, RBR has been diverting food waste from landfills to provide cost-effective composting services to the community. You’ll receive a bag of RBR’s compost to take home.
Lastly, we will visit Bremec on the Heights Garden Center for shopping. Unique plants, planters, and gardening accessories make this urban garden store a local favorite.
Level of difficulty: the cemetery tour is a one hour walking tour, sometimes steep and off path; there will be walking at the Botanical Garden, but on paved paths.
Bus Tour # 2 – Cleveland East Side Gems
This trip begins with two guided walking tours through the Holden Arboretum. The arboretum, covering 3,500 spectacular acres, is one of the largest in the country and boasts more than 20,000 plants and plant groupings. We will tour the Butterfly Garden, abundant in ideas for attracting pollinators, and the Rhododendron Garden, focusing on native habitat, hybridization and home landscape use of rhododendrons.
Holden will be followed by a guided walk through a beautiful private garden at the home of Mimi Gale. This garden features exquisite plantings amidst water features, and mature trees and shrubs in an elegant and sophisticated setting.
After lunch, we will head to Klyn Nurseries for a tour led by Bill Hendricks, Klyn’s President. Mr. Hendricks has an encyclopedic knowledge regarding the propagation of and care for shrubs, perennials and trees. Klyn Nurseries, a wholesale supplier, was founded in 1921 and now has 500 acres of crops in the field, 40 acres of containers, and offers more than 500 natives and cultivars of natives. Most of the 1,600 varieties of plants are propagated internally. The entire tour will be done in hay carts. We will end the day with shopping at Klyn. Don’t miss our east side gems!
Level of difficulty: about an hour of walking over uneven terrain, woodchip paths at Mimi Gales; and climbing into the hay carts at Klyn Nurseries.
Bus Tour Lunch Choices
Lunches will be from Panera Bread Company. For more information on the choices below use this link: Panera Bread. Unfortunately due to the number of lunches being provided to us we cannot change the salads or sandwiches as described. All meals are served with a pickle, chips, and either a cookie or apple.
- Roasted Turkey and Avocado BLT – Roasted turkey, Applewood-smoked bacon, emerald greens, vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh avocado, mayo salt and pepper served on Country Rustic Sourdough bread.
- Tuna Salad Sandwich – Special recipe tuna salad, emerald greens, vine-ripened tomatoes, red onions, salt and pepper on Black Pepper Focaccia. Mayo and spicy mustard packets on the side.
- Mediterranean Veggie Boxed Lunch (Vegetarian) – Zesty sweet Peppadewtm piquant peppers, feta, cucumbers, emerald greens, vine-ripened tomatoes, red onions, hummus, salt and pepper on Tomato Basil.
- Citrus Asian Crunch Salad (Vegetarian) – Romaine and a blend of chopped broccoli, green cabbage, carrots and kale tossed with edamame, pickled red onions and fresh cilantro in tangerine soy ginger dressing and topped with crispy carrots and a Teriyaki drizzle.
- Greek Salad (Vegetarian and Gluten Conscious**) – Romaine, grape tomatoes, feta, red onions and Kalamata olives with salt and pepper tossed with Greek dressing. (**This salad is gluten conscious which means that due to the possibility of cross contamination may not be completely gluten-free).
Important Bus Tour Information
Your bus tour co-chairs Lois Rose and Jo DeHaseth wish to convey the following important information for all bus tours
- PLEASE REGISTER EARLY TO ENSURE YOUR SEAT – Registration will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis and are limited.
- All bus tours include snacks, a box lunch and an opportunity for shopping.
- Tour participants will receive 5 CEs for each tour
- IMPORTANT: Remember to pick up your registration materials at the hotel prior to boarding the bus.
- We encourage you to bring your own water bottle to help in limiting plastic waste. Water for filling water bottles will be available at the hotel prior to boarding the bus and also at the various venues.
- Buses will be available for boarding at 7:30 am and will depart promptly at or before 8:00 am from the Marriott and return around 4:30 pm.
- Please wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes. As always, since we can’t predict the weather, you may want to bring a waterproof jacket and/or an umbrella (just in case).
- Please bring cash or your checkbook for shopping, as sites may not have access to credit card scanners.
- The tour busses have storage for all the treasures you want to purchase and take home with you.